Friday, March 27, 2009

Fun With Family Friday- Letter J

Letter J time!!

First our J recipe is Jello Poke Cake


You will need the following items:

1 bx. yellow or white cake mix
1 (3 oz.) bx. red jello
1 (8 oz.) carton Cool Whip

Bake cake according to package directions. While cake is cooling in its pan, poke holes all over the cake. (If the little ones help you with this step- make sure the cake is cooled down so no little fingers get burned. )You can also poke the cake with a fork if you prefer.

Mix jello according to package directions. Drizzle jello liquid over cake. Make sure jello penetrates all holes. Chill several hours or overnight. Frost chilled cake with whipped topping.

Serve. So yummy!!!!

The J craft is Jug Watering Cans .



Remember those egg carton gardens we did back on letter G? Well- mine is growing like crazy. It is about time to transport them to the ground - so I figured we would make milk jug watering cans so the kids can help out with the watering.

You will need:


a plastic milk or juice jug
a hole punch
paint and paint brushes
tape
Plant food
water

Directions:

Make sure your jug is cleaned out and remove all stickers on the outside.
Let the kids have fun painting flowers, stars, hearts ,etc (whatever they desire) on the milk jugs.
Take the hole punch and punch 4 holes in the lid top .
Let the paint dry.
Put the plant food and water in the jug according to directions.
Put the lid back on. Use tape around the sides to help secure.

Now your watering can is ready.

Remind the little ones that this special painted jug is not to drink from. It is just for our garden.
Now the kids can be involved in watering the garden and watch as the plants grow!

8 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! I love getting kids involved with gardening, what a great project! I'll be linking.

Sarah J. said...

Cute ideas! Jello cake? That sounds like a winner for sure!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I am MissSarah1930 from Swap-bot and you were my partner for our swap. I just love your ideas!

AKJassz said...

HI this is Jassz from swap-bot. I am sort of feeling silly because I'm seeing the blogs that you have done and my other partners and I realized that my spot isn't really a blog. I messed up in my understanding. Anyhow, you are very creative. I have saved your blog, because I think I want to know what you have done with the rest of the alphabet. That is so cool! Thank you for sharing!

Jassz

Anonymous said...

"rumblegirl" -- here from Swap-Bot.

I haven't had jello cake in ages . . . mom used to make Jello Cakes (pudding cakes too).

New beginnings said...

I love your FUN WITH FAMILY FRIDAYS... you must have so much energy!!! I particularly liked the cake (but what is cool whip?) and the 'I is for ice cream' - am wishing the weather was a bit warmer so I could have a go...perhaps I'll turn the heating up instead!!

Alison Hamilton
(Swap bot - Ellabellaboo)

Kris said...

What a great idea Melissa! My kids would love to make their own watering cans. And I LOVE that cake idea too. Who would have thought to pour jello into the holes of the cake? Yummy and so different!

Katie said...

Hi, I'm over from Courtney's after reading about your lunch with the ladies from YCMT and SWAK. I love the milk jug recycle watering can, great idea!