Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Heart shaped aromatheraphy Eye pillows




Here is a quick last minute gift idea that you can put together for teacher gifts , coworkers, friends, etc! It took less than 30 minutes to stitch together 6 of these. They are big enough that they cover both eyes. Also you could attach elastic to make a mask to stay on.


1) Click on heart pattern to enlarge and print out.


Cut out pattern.


2) Take fabric of your choice and fold over so that wrong sides are touching.


3) Pin cutout onto both layers of fabric pinning thru all 3 layers. Cut out about 1/8 inch from paper cutout with pinking shears.


4) Sew 2 pieces of fabric together with wrong sides touching 1/8 inch from edge. ( Leave a 2 inch opening on one of the straight sides. Back stitch at beginning and end of sewing.


5) Pour rice in a sandwich size Ziploc bag and mix in aromatherapy oils. (I used a combination of chamomile, lavender, and peppermint. ) 1 eye pillow will take about about 1/2 to 1 cup of rice. Scent rice with amount of oil to your preference. Close baggie and shake well.


6) Take a funnel and insert small end into opening on eye pillow. Pour rice in. Fill so that it is full about 1/4 inch thick when laying flat.


7) Go back to the sewing machine and push rice to closed side and stitch close the 2 inch opening.
Your eye pillow are almost done! Print off a cute saying like the following and attach:


For Valentine's Day I made you this gift,
Because every once in awhile we all need a lift!
Place this aromatherapy pillow on your eyes,
and watch your headaches and tired eyes go Bye bye!


I would recommend storing the eye pillow in a zip lock bag while not being used to help keep the oils stronger.
So relax and enjoy! Make sure to make yourself one too!

9 comments:

Teresa Pomerantz said...

very cute craft! I wonder- if you connected two hearts together- could you make a eye mask?

Three Prince Designs said...

It does cover both eyes- when you print the pattern- it is bigger.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a wonderful craft - cute and useful! I could use a couple of those pillows today after the day I had yesterday. Thanks for the instructions on how to make them.

What a cute place you have here. I am excited to have a look around! Have a great day!

Jen

Dawn said...

Cute gift idea! Thanks for the instructions.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, you come up with so many creative ideas, I love it here! I'll be linking.

Mammatalk said...

Now, that is cute!!

Shelly said...

What a really cool idea! I love it. Don’t think I’m going to have time to make them for Valentine’s Day, but maybe for some other time. ~Shelly~

Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts said...

This is such an adorable idea for a Valentine's Day gift! I just linked to it from my site. You can check out the link here:
http://www.allfreeholidaycrafts.com/Valentines-Day-Gifts/Aromatherapy-Eye-Pillows
Please let me know if it's okay to link to your projects like this in the future.
Thanks!
-Rachel@AllFreeHolidayCrafts

KJNetz said...

Help! I can't print the heart pattern! Is the link down or???? Cute! Thanks for the pattern.